Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fort Laramie, Wyoming

About one day's travel from Fort Laramie the Oregon trail climbs a sandstone hill. The route necked down here so the wagon wheels dug deep ruts. Joanie's standing in ruts here. The bridge she's standing on dates from the late 1800s. The army build it to provide a reliable way to access the Fort across the Platte River. Part of the Fort is in ruins, as is the Administration Building. Other parts, such as the new Guard House are, to my dismay, very much intact!














1 comment:

Elise said...

Hahaha, oh no, what'd you do this time?? I remember when I was a kid we had Oregon Trail II on the computer, and one of the first challenges you come across is getting your stupid million ton wagon up a very steep, narrow stretch of rock like the one in the picture. I think it's even supposed to be that one. Anyway, I almost never made it.